Illicit Discharge Reporting

What is an Illicit Discharge?

An Illicit discharge is defined as "any discharge into a municipal storm sewer system that is not composed entirely of stormwater".  Some of the pollutants that fall into this category are:

-Car wash wastewater
-Gas and motor oil
-Grass clippings
-Household cleansers
-Pet waste
-Weed killer

Illicit Discharge Image 1

Sometimes these pollutants are carried through the storm drainage system by rain, wind, or improper disposal into Wisconsin water ways.  This can result in serious health and water quality problems.  In addition wildlife and the overall appearance of water ways are adversely affected by illicit discharges.

Six Easy Ways That You Can Keep Illicit Discharges Out of Wisconsin Waters

There are simple steps that we can take to solve the problems that the Wisconsin water ways face.  It is up to YOU, the homeowner and business owners who call Menasha home, to clean it up and to help keep it clean!

Oil can

1.  Used Oil, antifreeze, and batteries can be recycled.  Clean up any spills immediately - kitty litter or sawdust will absorb the spill.  Be sure to sweep these up as well.

Man washing car

2.  Wash your car on the grass so that the water, detergent and dirt will be filtered by the soil.  Better yet, take your car to a commercial car wash, where your dirty water is sent to the wastewater treatment plant.

3.  Empty bottles of household cleansers, pesticides and weed killer should be disposed of according to label directions.

4.  Grass clippings in the street should be swept up after each mowing.  Grass clippings left in the street are being washed down into the storm sewers and end up in Wisconsin water ways where they have the potential to cause algae blooms.


5.  Many household products, including paints, paint thinners and solvents can be taken to Winnebago County Household Material Collection Facility.  Paint brushes used with water based paint can be rinsed in the sink.  If you have a small amount of leftover paint in a can, stuff it loosely with news paper, let the paint dry out completely and put it in the trash.

Paint cans

6.  When walking your pet use a bag or a scooper to clean up your pet's waste.  In order to keep animal waste from contaminating our community, anyone who walks a pet should properly dispose of waste by picking it up, wrapping it and either placing it into the trash or flushing it UNWRAPPED!

Reporting of Illegal Dumping or Suspicious Discharges:

Reporting will, in great part, rely on participation from the public.  Residents who observe illegal dumping or observe pollutants within waterways or storm sewers should contact the City of Menasha, Department of Public Works Office at 920-967-3610 to report a stormwater violation.  This program cannot succeed without strong public participation.


City of Menasha
Department of Public Works
100 Main St, Suite 200
Menasha, WI 54952
Phone: 920-967-3610
Fax: 920-967-5272